Saturday, October 22, 2011

Discovering

We have not been outside as much lately as I would like. Honestly, some days it is hard to get Clara outside - she is in a huge book-reading phase right now and would rather sit on the couch and read Busy Timmy, We Help Mommy and Mother Goose rhymes for hours on end than do almost anything else. Sometimes I feel a little guilty about this. But then I remember that she's had phases where she has wanted to be outside 24/7 and I could hardly get her to look at a book. Oh, the extremes. So I try not to worry and just enjoy the phase she is in. However, I do still try to provide some balance in her life and get us out as much as possible. Today we were out for a bit (not as long as I'd like), looking for pretty leaves for a fall centerpiece on our kitchen table and Clara discovered some fuzzy seed heads on long grass stems (I'm not sure what they are, exactly). She was entranced. I almost missed the moment because I was so focused on leaves. I am so thankful the finger of God poked me enough to slow me down so I could pay attention. We felt the seed heads. We picked several. We talked about how long the stems were. We tickled each other with them. We had a blast! It was a moment of discovery, of enchantment, of observing the natural world and finding delight in it, of everything I want the outdoors to be for my little girl. And I almost missed it. Dear God, help me to slow down enough each day so I can get out of the way and let the discoveries happen instead of trying to manufacture them.

Clara walked all the way back to the house rubbing the seed heads on her face, talking about how soft they were and "tickling" herself with them.


Uh, yeah, she's a little disheveled. Some days we get around to brushing her hair before nap, other days, well....

No comments:

Post a Comment