Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21

What can I say? We had a fantastic day today. A few bumps along the way but overall just wonderful. Clara was outside from 10:30 - 4:30 with only a couple quick trips inside to go potty (I was inside a little longer to get food, new clothes, etc.). Here she is during lunch, soaking in the sunshine, resting from the morning and recharging for an afternoon full of fun!


This morning we walked to the soccer field where we kicked her blue ball, she walked on the bleachers (a favorite activity!) and then played for a long time with the rocks in the parking lot. She was making up long, elaborate stories about the rocks and how she was "soaking cow hides." Her imagination never ceases to amaze me! We took frequent breaks in the shed for water and snacks and at one point, as we were sitting on the picnic bench facing each other she scooted over to me, put her head on my chest and exclaimed, "I like you a LOT Mommy!" I hugged her and told her I like her, too! Then she stood up, put her arms around my neck and squeezed tight as she said, "I love you!!" Talk about melting my heart! I think she told me 5 or 6 times today that she loved me, and it was just so sweet to hear her say it unprompted. We had lots and lots of hugs, giggles and fun in the sun. The weather was perfect - almost 80 and beautifully sunny with just a slight breeze.

Once home I headed inside to refill our water bottle, leaving Clara riding her "tractor" on the driveway. I came out to find her in the backyard, shoes kicked off, "making a sandbox" in the dirt (= piling dirt up with her shovel). She played in the dirt for the longest time while I played with her and then worked some on prepping the new garden beds I'm adding this year. ("You work in your garden, Mommy, while I'm working in my garden.") At one point she came around front and told me, "I was just coming to check on you."

Once she was good and dirty, we got out her kiddie pool and filled it up. Although it was a little cold she had a blast splashing around and playing in the water. After a long day of fun, we curled up on a blanket in the backyard and looked at her new Baby Animals magazine until Daddy came home. Then she had a real bath before eating homemade pizza and homemade chocolate-peanut butter ice cream for dinner. A little Winnie-the-Pooh before bedtime almost finished off our wonderful day. As I was putting her to bed she told me, "Snuggle close to me, Mommy!" Then she took my face in her hands and said emphatically, "You're BEST Mommy!" Oh, how I love that little girl. As I was walking out she reached toward me and said, "I need to hold you tight and keep you here so you'll be safe!" So then we talked about how we're always safe because Jesus watches over us and sends special angels to watch Clara, and special angels to watch Mommy, and more special angels to watch Daddy. "And angels for Sadie?" she wanted to know. Considering all that dog has survived, I think I was correct in telling her yes, Sadie has special angels that watch over her, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment